Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Cookies Are Baked

Well, yesterday was an absolute whirlwind of flour, sugar, chocolate, jam, "and etc." to quote my favorite book of 2007. But in the end, the cookies are baked. And it really didn't make that many. I mean, we have a lot, don't get me wrong, particularly when Lucas fell in love with his own brand of oatmeal raisin cookies and baked a triple batch, but not as many as I would have thought. The big hits were oatmeal raisin (obviously), Chex muddy buddies, peanut butter blossoms, chocolate chips (Lucas baked 'the Big Cookie' by dumping a lot of dough into one lump and 'seeing what would happen'), and of course, the Contessa's Linzer tarts, which are not fully assembled, but we enjoyed baking the hell out of them and eating the ones that broke.

In addition, we have shortbread, raspberry bars, magic cookie bars, chocolate almond thumbprints, chocolate chip meringues, jam thumbprints, peanut butter, gingerbread men, sugar cookies, and who knows what else. My brain is drawing a blank. We used Splenda for baking a lot of the time, and it baked very, very well. I was really happy with the way the cookies that had been Splenda'd turned out. I think we have about 300 cookies or so downstairs.

There is the usual draw-muh going on, much of which has proved to me what a good guy Lucas really is. And last night we drove around in the rain light peeping, always one of my favorite activities.

Today we are heading to Judy's pretty early to have the new book club kick off, and then my office Christmas party is on Monday. Then only 4 days and I'll have ten days of FREEDOM. Friday was awful--I cried all the way to work and then discovered that Judy, Michael, and Joe all took the day off, the bastards. I feel a sick day coming on. hehehehehe (I have 3 days of sick time to use or lose before the end of the year, and it's not looking like it's going to happen.)

That's life from Fredericksburg.

3 pearl(s) of wisdom:

Seraphim9 said...

Sounds like SOOOO much fun! I think at this point the only cookie baking I plan to do is a couple of batches of peanut butter kisses cookies (that's a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey kiss planted in the middle) and a batch of sugar cookies for Tal.

Light-peeping, I like that term! Tal and I usually go out light peeping on a weekend prior to Christmas. One place in particular is in a little cul-de-sac known as Tiger Ridge. (http://www.weirdus.com/stories/GA04.asp)

Strangely, Tal and I seem to fit right in when we're out there and the people are nice as can be. While Tal and I are from Alabama and Georgia, respectively, and have been told on an occasion or two that we look and act like we're brother and sister we SWEAR that we were in NO WAY related before we got married!

Talmadge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Talmadge said...

So why did we all of a sudden hear a lot of stifled murmurs behind the door when they examined our blood after getting poked for the marriage license?

(Confession: we actually eloped in Izard County, Arkansas -- a state which does NOT require a blood test)

I love you, Sis'

--Ernest T. Gleck