Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Super Freak Out

So, this weekend, Judy came down and we had a nice time. Most importantly, perhaps, I got 3 new games for the Wii. One of those was Super Mario Galaxy, which has been generating the most buzz since I got the Wii, at least among people I speak to about such things.

Well, it definitely lives up to the hype. Lucas and I played it all weekend. It was a blast.

Monday afternoon, Judy is cooking, we're all sitting around gabbing and there was a little flash in the power. We were all like, "Huh, that's kind of weird" but then we had to eat and leave.

I come home on Tuesday, and I'm thinking, "Yea! I can play some Mario!" and I go in and the light on the Wii is off. "Ok, that's a little weird." It won't turn on. So I get under the table and unplug it from the surge protector, reset the surge protector. Nothing. Hmmm. Even stranger, the TV the Wii is attached to is turning on just fine and dandy.

So now, I'm starting to freak out just a little bit. I go downstairs and check the breakers. Everything is fine. So I go upstairs to the computer and read through the troubleshooting stuff on the Nintendo site. I follow through on all steps and nothing happens. Then, I happen to turn around and see my laptop sitting there, the screen completely black, despite the fact that it was on and plugged into the wall. So now, I'm really starting to wonder. I go over to it, hit the power button, and nothing. It won't turn on. Holy crap!

Ok, so I do the only thing I can possibly do: I call my dad. Unfortunately for my current crisis, he's at my mom's and he and my mom are very busy with company. Since everyone is so distracted, I start to cry. My father finds this a bit sobering. He suggests that I take everything into the kitchen and plug it in there, to see if it's working or not. I start with the laptop. By some miracle it turns on. Feeling emboldened, I take in the Wii and plug it in. Nothing. Dead as a doornail. So now, I'm really bawling, "Michael's going to hate me, I blew up the Wii, the NICEST thing I've EVER owned!" (a little flair for the dramatic never hurts) and my dad is trying the old, "Calm down, it's not like you crashed the car or anything, you're not hurt, you can get another one.." Finally he says, "Leave it unplugged for a half hour and I'll call you back."

So I go upstairs and I go on the Wii site again and submit a ticket. I can't bear calling them until Michael gets home, since I figure I better give him the bad news, and we'll see what he has to say and I don't want to call him and tell him while he's stuck on I95 in a van.

So I'm talking to Jacalyn on AIM and 20 minutes goes by, and I'm like, "Start praying, I'm going in." I go downstairs, plug the Wii in, and it comes on. It was like a freakin' miracle. Jacalyn so happens to be writing a zombie romance, so we decided I own the Zombie Wii.

I played Mario last night and it's working just fine and dandy. Go figure!!!! That is the craziest thing I've ever seen or heard of. Technology, huh?

0 pearl(s) of wisdom: