Monday, February 08, 2010

Snow Days, Snow Days…

…good old blowy snow days…

We have been more or less stuck in the house since the big blizzard hit on Friday.  We got approximately 18 inches here at the Cookie Jar, so we’ve come up with many creative ways to spend our time:

  • Playing Skip Bo with and without the proper instructions to tell us how to actually play the game.  Michael contributed by breaking the hell out of the automatic card shuffler I had that turned out to be a piece of crap.
  • Doing a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.  This required us to move 2 different card tables into position so we had room to spread out all the pieces.
  • Watching a movie (“The Hangover”)
  • Getting pissed off at friends for not playing Words With Friends fast enough!  :-)  You know who you are!
  • Baking (I made triple chocolate chunk brownies and a homemade coffee cake)
  • Cooking (we had pot roast, beer battered shrimp [first time I’d ever attempted making it!], ham and cheese paninis [recipe courtesy of Cooking Light], pizza)
  • Rearranging furniture (our hutch is now in the dining room where it belongs, the microwave cart has moved over next to the freezer, which is more in the kitchen where it belongs)
  • Giving the rabbit a bath (you’ve never had fun until you’ve bathed a combative rabbit and then blow dried his fur so he didn’t catch cold)
  • Shoveling (let my mom do most of it while I took a lot of naps)
  • Napping
  • Entertaining Leah (she mostly entertained us, she’s been a little speedball this weekend!!!!  Man does she like to talk now!)
  • Catching up on Hoarders
  • Reading (Eudora Welty SUCKS)
  • Cleaning (and foisting unwanted goodies off on my mom who wants them!)

I guess that about covers it.  We did get out today and went over to Bottom Dollar to buy 100 pounds of rock salt, since our driveway is a sheet of ice.  Then we all went out to lunch where we toasted our good fortune of getting out of the house.  Mom left this afternoon to go up to Alexandria where she will stay a day or two, and we’re getting ready for storm #2 tomorrow.  We will go out tonight with the Heplers for dinner (since we didn’t manage to get together for the SuperBowl) and then we’ll see what’s what!  I don’t even know what day it is any more.  I was chatting with Amy this morning and made a comment about her daring to work on a Tuesday and she said, “Uh, it’s Monday”…  Well, see what happens?

This weekend is the great Philip Gulley road trip.  We are leaving right after weigh in on Saturday morning and hope to hit Greensboro between noon and one.  Plan is to hook up with the Talmadge Glecks and go to the new civil rights museum.  We are all staying in the same hotel, and it should be nice and cozy as the dickens.  Philip Gulley’s new book is entitled “If the Church Was Christian” so I expect we’re in for a doozy of a talk!  Sunday morning we’ll attend his Greensboro events before heading home in time for supper Sunday night. 

I was excited before, just thinking about the trip, but now that I know Russell and Amy will be meeting us, I’m even more excited.  I was wondering when I’d see them again and now I know! :-)

Keep warm, dry, and happy, everyone!

1 pearl(s) of wisdom:

Talmadge said...

We're looking very forward to this, as well.

I hadn't before heard of this author, but I pulled up a description of this book, and - at first blush - sounds like something I would very much like to see. I don't know if I could breeze through the book before the event!

See you folks Saturday! :-D