Saturday, February 20, 2010

Busy Times!

One of the only ways I know what day of the week it is any more now that I don’t have everyone grumbling about Mondays on Facebook to me is that my friends are not busy on certain days of the week.  Today must be Saturday, because we had company!  Emily came down from Annandale to do another 80 Plates, this time tackling 3 countries (El Salvador, Mexico, and Chile) and Melissa joined us as well.  I will work on the blogging portion of it diligently, but as Melissa was the official photographer and Emily was the under-photographer and I was spending my time with a crabby baby, I don’t know what the heck is on the camera and what the heck actually much happened cooking wise.  I helped where I could. 

Emily is kind of a kindred spirit as far as WW goes.  I recently read an article with Carnie Wilson who said of the weight gain she went through that she often suffers a case of the “f*** its'” and I have a serious case of the f***-its myself.  I have no desire to do it right now.  Of course, I have no desire to go back to weighing what I did, but it seems like I get started and then things happen (in this case, a blizzard and a trip to Greensboro) and I get off course and that’s that.  It’s disappointing, to be sure, but each time it happens it makes it that much harder to get back on track.  Michael and I have discussed it and are hoping to get there, but I just want to throw up my hands and say, well, you know…

At this point, I would say giving up the gaming is harder than giving up the Facebook.  I had to call our bank today after going through our accounts and finding a weird charge, and while I was on hold, I nearly started a round of FreeCell.  My book reading is going very well indeed, and I’m very happy with the amount I’ve gotten done.  However, it’s very difficult to read and be on the phone at the same time.  What I’ve realized is that not only am I not posting my own updates and photos, but I have no idea what anyone else is up to either.  Email and blogging seem to be nearly obsolete at this point, everyone just posting updates to Facebook and presuming that’ll take care of it.  So if I’ve missed anything special, let me say, “Congratulations!”  “Way to go!”  “Sorry to hear it :-(“ or “I’m here if you need me!” and hit my like button…  I don’t think when I go back to Facebook it’ll be in the same form as before, certainly I don’t think I’ll spend as much time on it as I did.  Michael doesn’t think so, but I do.  I did log onto MySpace tonight, but that is a joke.  No one is on there any more.

Last night some friends from home came over to say hello.  The same family as was here in November around Thanksgiving, Linette, Tom, Hayden, and Hayley.  We had a wonderful visit, far too short, and Michael and I treated them to dinner at the Chinese buffet.  Hopefully we will be able to get together again soon!  The kids just adore Leah and while I’m not sure she knows what to make of them, she seems to enjoy their company and all the goofy things they do to entertain her.  Linette and Tom are both doing wonderfully and it’s just so nice to catch up and enjoy ourselves.

Thursday we went out with a playgroup to the Playroom here in Fredericksburg.  Leah had a grand time playing in the pretend house area with a bunch of different kids, but she has been sick ever since with a runny nose and a cough.  We had been thinking about trying out a new pediatrician, and the timing seems right, so we have an appointment with a pediatrician here in town on Monday.  It is someone a friend of ours (and fellow adoptive mom) uses, so I feel confident it is a good referral.  Hopefully I like the doctor and Leah does too!

Tomorrow is  my first time going to choir practice up in Stafford.  We are also hoping to see Anne (aforementioned adoptive mom friend) and her son Nicolas for a little visit tomorrow afternoon.  I need to fit in grocery shopping as well.  We are getting our taxes done on Thursday, so God willing, we get a fat wad of cash back from the IRS and it comes soon so we can replenish our savings account and get some new doors on the house!  I guess the landscaping will have to wait till (if) we thaw out.

That’s all the news that’s fit to print from The Cookie Jar (the new name for our house, thanks to my buddy Landry).  See you all soon!

0 pearl(s) of wisdom: