Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Bit of Fun

So the holidays were stressful to say the least.  By Saturday, I was so strung out I couldn’t sleep.  We went to bed after some lengthy family discussions and I just laid there, playing with the iPod, until Michael busted me with it (yeah, I was immediately hooked on the thing for sure!) and it turned out that he couldn’t sleep either.

We had had a big lunch in DC during the day, so I hadn’t bothered to cook dinner and by 11:30, The General was HUNGRY.  We got to talking about what would taste good and he was like, “Man, I could go for some double quarter pounders right about now.  I’m starving!”

Now, I have eaten at McD’s since I joined WW, but I have largely forgone my former fave food, the chicken mcnugget, in favor of the 5 point hamburger.  But man, when he got to talking about McD’s, I could taste a damned McNugget a mile away.

So I said, “I’m going to go get us some!” and we both started giggling.  “How are you going to do that?” he asked, pointing out rightly that our car was blocked in at the top of the driveway.  “I don’t know, but I’m getting us some food!” I whispered back.  The two of us were giggling hysterically at this point.  I think it was the whole prospect of sneaking out of the house while my parents were there, “borrowing a car” and going to get some yummies.

I didn’t even bother to get dressed.  I jammed my feet into some shoes, grabbed my mini flashlight from my bedside table, and crept downstairs in my nightgown, on the prowl for car keys.  Bingo!  I found my mom’s bright yellow coat hanging on the back of a chair in the dining room and quickly put that on.  And double bingo, I found her car keys hiding in her purse (Sorry, Mom!).  I was cackling like a madwoman as I crept to the back door and slipped out.  I strutted down the driveway and hopped in the car, careful not to move the seat or the mirrors lest I give myself away.  Fortunately McD’s was open at that hour and I went through the drive through in my nightie and yellow coat and they looked at me like this was the most normal thing in the world to do, so must be a lot of people do it.

I made our order, got our food (after what seemed like an interminable 10 minute wait) and drove back to the house.  I put the coat and keys back (Thanks again, Mom, and if you were wondering why your car smelled like french fries, now you know!) and hauled butt upstairs with our white bags of contraband.

Michael was laughing and saying he felt like he was in college again when they’d make midnight pizza runs.  I felt like I was 16, finally sneaking out and stealing my parents’ car!!!!  I never did that when I was younger, it felt so hilariously forbidden (sorry, Mom!).

We made ourselves a little picnic on the bed, munching on fries, burgers, and McNuggets, slurping caffeine free drinks, and giggling like a couple of kids.

It was the perfect antidote to all the sadness and angry feelings I was having.  The McNuggets were the best I’ve ever eaten :-)

0 pearl(s) of wisdom: