Saturday, May 17, 2008

Still Alive, But Just Barely Hangin' In!

So, work is kicking my ass, handing it to me to hold, and kicking it again.

We were informed last year that we had to have a conference in the coming fiscal year for senior citizens. The conference, we decided, would be the week before Memorial Day so we could use Memorial Day weekend to relax and recover. Well, this week is the week before Memorial Day. The conference is upon us.

So due to some of the personalities involved, I offered to coordinate the whole thing. I can't really comment publicly on it too much, but let's just say that the entire rehabilitation team is just this side of completely freakin' insane to begin with, and then we look at the component parts and just scratch our heads.

Well, so I figured if we wanted it done right, I should probably do it. Which has left the rest of my team thinking like Alfred E. Neuman.



Yesterday we went and did a lot of the supply shopping we needed to do, and there is still more to do on Monday, but I'm not participating in that, because I don't need groceries, since I am signed up to teach flower arranging. However, we had a marathon run in with WalMart trying to establish our tax exempt status, we had a hell of a time trying to work out the schedule so that everyone was happy, then we discover that the program coordinator for the state has decided to come up for the entire thing, we have to finalize catering, we have to go to the site where we're holding this shindig to get set up, and everyone else is like "Meh, it'll get done."

In the meantime, my new referrals are mounting like the national debit--I am currently 7 behind in openings, and just got 6 new referrals from Richmond. I have about 10 closures to do. And the week after this conference, I will spend every single day driving to Charlottesville for eye doctor appointments. Meanwhile, I have clients breathing down my neck, "Why haven't I seen you?" "where's my equipment?" "What's the hold up?" "Why is this taking so long?"

There are currently 60 of you and there is 1 of me. That's why it is taking so long.

So in short, I have no idea when the hell I'm going to get my paperwork done, when the hell I'm going to get things ordered, which is only going to back me up that much further and life is hell right now at work.

Downtime on the weekends? Hahahahahaha In addition to helping my sister with her wedding, I am busy putting furniture together, meeting with people to do some repairs to our house, attempting to meet up with friends who must think I hate them any more, and of course grocery shopping, car inspection, runs to the dump, cooking, taking care of the rabbit, and trying to coordinate our annual summer getaway plans.

Now throw into the mix that The General and I have just found out that we can't have babies, my sister who never wanted to have kids has found out she is having a baby, every other woman I know is pregnant or has a baby, and as a friend recently suggested to me rather pointedly, no one seems to give a flying f*** about this fact... Add in the fact that the dentist is now calling because there is a foul up with our dental somewhat-insurance and they want to straighten it out or want some money, and I'm just to a point where it's like, here's where we separate the girls from the women and I'm not so sure I want to be a woman any more.

It's all just adding up. I'm not sleeping. Last night, I fell asleep at 1:30 and I was up this morning at 6:00. The night before, I got roughly 4 hours of sleep. I think I am losing my ability to see the forest for the trees here.

The one bright spot in all of this is that I have a phone interview on Monday. I hope it goes well and leads to an in-person interview. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

So hopefully after a couple of weeks, I will be back to running the streets again like always and until then, I will beg patience. I want to wish Russell and Mrs. good luck on Weight Watchers--I'm just catching up on that happening--and Nicole luck on her new house and Lauren luck with her gym schedule and Cindy luck with Alex being under the weather and Jacalyn luck on finding her camera and Annette luck on getting unburied from work too, and everyone else luck with anything they might need. I'm not ignoring you, I promise, I just need to unbury myself for a couple of more weeks... :)

6 pearl(s) of wisdom:

Cindy said...

After all that, and you still have time to think about other people. Sheesh. I'm worn out.

*hugs* about the baby. I'm not sure of your situation, but I know two couples that were told they couldn't have children, that now have children. That's not what you want to hear, but just to let you know to maybe have hope.

Ok, now go sleep.

nic said...

Susan, I don't know how you do it! In short, thank you for still remembering me and the new house. I'm working my tail off this weekend on it, but it doesn't even start to compare to what is on your plate.

TRY to remember to take care of yourself too!

Love
nic

Talmadge said...

Just remember that in the end it's also about you. After all this, you will have (more than) earned a lot of Susan Time.

And don't be afraid to use it. Helping others is great; so is turning off the device and letting the batteries recharge quietly and peacefully.

Love,
Talmadge

Talmadge said...

And one more thing: I miss Mad magazine the way it used to be. Alfred E. Newman would've made a better president many times over than the @#$%s we've had over the last 40 years.

-TG

PS: Word verification is "guvqwr." Wonder if that's a forgotten Don Martin sound effect.

Lauren said...

You're so sweet to think of me! Good luck on your interview. And I hope the conference went well!

Lara said...

If you need a sympathetic and understanding ear about the big thing on your mind, please call or email me. I remember that day all too clearly myself, and the weeks after, complete with all the pregnant family members showing me ultrasounds. Your wonder twin is always here for you babe! *HUGS* (And yes I'm behind on my blog reading! :) )