Saturday, May 24, 2008

Oh What the Hell...

Everyone else is doing it. I might as well jump off the bridge too.

This morning, I roused myself out of bed at 6:00am and at 6:30 stepped through the front doors of my first Weight Watchers meeting. It was slightly terrifying and the group leader was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of a morning person, but they managed to make me laugh, which was good considering where I'm starting from and where I'm looking at going even for my initial 10% goal.

I'm sitting here debating between the core and the points business. I'm leaning towards the points only because it feels a bit more structured and I feel like I need some structure. On the other hand, the muffin I am eating for breakfast just turned out to be 5 points. But at least, I get to eat a muffin.

I think it's probably going to be tremendously boring for you all to listen to me blog about being on Weight Watchers, so I'll just keep a little running total to the side somewhere when I begin to REMOVE weight, not lose it (the instructor says we always start looking for what we lose). And we'll see how it goes. My mind is a whirlwind "But I have book club!" "but I have Judy's wedding reception!"

Yeah, but I also have the whole rest of my life to live. And I'd like to see it last a while.

So wish me luck. I officially start tomorrow with the counting and portioning and so forth.

4 pearl(s) of wisdom:

Talmadge said...

Congratulations and good luck to you. I trust it's a decision you've made of your own volition and not because some of us are doing it. :-)

I won't consider it boring to read of your progress (and I hope you don't see my musings, Seraphim's, or Nettie's as such) ... on the contrary - and speaking for myself - I'd enjoy reading 'em.

As for me, after three weeks into WW, I now see food as currency. I can't go by the core system -- I much prefer the points, too. (And yes, I was jolted at how high some of my favorite foods were!)

The "new format" doesn't appear to be as restrictive as I was afraid it'd be. I've gone way conservative during the day, replacing cashews with the Pringle's Light and popcorn, and have found that for the most part I can enjoy most of what I usually do -- even fast food, just without the fries (most of the time - sometimes I MUST have 'em) and soda (ditto).

I really like your leader's choice of verb. "Remove" sounds better. Great logic behind that one, too!

Finally, don't worry about the "whirlwind" -- book club, and especially (!) Judy's wedding. This is something for Susan. You first, for once. If it's something you really want to do, I - WE! - all want it for you.

Godspeed to you.

--Talmadge "8.0 down" Gleck

Unknown said...

Good for you!!!! :)

A bunch of years ago I saw a registered dietican and she set up a meal plan for me - diabetic exchanges that I followed religously and lost about 30 lbs....then I kinda fell off the wagon, but that was close to 10 years ago and I have so far not put all the weight back on!!! I have kept about 20 lbs of it off. Once you obtain a differnt way of thinking you can tweak things and make it work!

Anyway....I was SHOCKED at how bad for you some of my favorite things were! You can make it work....I try very hard to never ever drink calories, I also try and leave off mayo or cheese on sandwiches and stuff.

Also what works best for me is excercise - if my clothes start to fit tight the 1st thing I do is increase my activity...that usually helps pretty quick!

When we hit Wegman's before book club we'll come up with 2 great things for us to bring that will won't overdo it on the points! :)

You can do it! :)

Kate/Susan said...

Thanks :)

This is definitely something I want to do for ME. I'll write more on M.O.B. about it later, but I'm starting to get selfish and I want to have good health. So I'm going to try this. We'll see how it goes. :)

nettiemac said...

I'm so proud of you! I know you can do it.

Don't worry about how much or how quickly things are "removed" -- just enjoy the process, and remember: the slower the better.

Love you muchly! And I look forward to reading about your progress!