Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Believe it or not...

...I'm already ready with my first book review of the year!

And it's a non-fiction.

Last year at work, my coworker asked if I liked John Grisham. I had never really read his books until I met Michael, who is a diehard fan, and I started reading Grisham books with him on long car trips, and yes, loved the books. So she recommended we get his new book, "An Innocent Man."

I picked it up for Michael for Christmas and we read it over this past long weekend.

Unbelievable.

I've been leaning away from the death penalty for a long time now, but this book 100% cemented it for me. It's shocking how crooked police, prosecutors, judges and lawyers can be--and they weren't all entirely crooked, but some of them were just not paying attention.

And consequently, two innocent men were in jail for 12 years, one of whom had serious mental illness that was not treated most of that time.

The sick part?

The criminal who committed the murder for which those two were convicted actually testified against them at trial and helped convict them!!!

It was an incredibly fast paced book, not one boring part in it. I highly recommend it. It was absolutely great.

My goal for this year is to read 100 books. 99 to go.

0 pearl(s) of wisdom: