1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
I like wrapping paper--it's more fun to rip than genteely open a bag.
2. Real tree or artificial?
REAL! I had an artificial in Centreville just because I didn't want to drag a tree up the stairs and all and I nearly cried. Must be a real tree.
3. When do you put up the tree?
December 20th or so. This year will be early. But my mom was allergic, so we always put it up late, plus we don't take it down till after Epiphany, so it's up a lot longer than most people's trees are.
4. When do you take the tree down?
January 6th or so.
5. Do you like eggnog? I love the homemade kind, but not the crap they give you in a box at the store.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I'm not sure. I remember getting a Cabbage Patch Kid was pretty exciting. As a teen, I remember the year my parents gave Judy and I stereo systems was a banner year. The presents are great, but I just have fond memories of other things besides that, and they stick out more.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Oh hell yes. I have my grandfather's old cardboard nativity from the 1920's that is still puttering along. I have the Willow Tree nativity that my dad built up for me (I have 3 sets of shepherds and animals!). I have a hand carved nativity from the Holy Land. Plus a cheapy from the Dollar Store that I used in Arkansas.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
My husband! And Joe.
9. Easiest person to buy for?
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
My grandparents gave me underwear once. And my parents' friends gave me socks. I remember weeping over the socks and being too embarrassed to show off the undies.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
They went out yesterday. For once, I'm on time!
12. Favorite Christmas movie?
Love Actually. It's not really a Christmas movie Christmas movie, but I love it anyway and it takes place at Christmas.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
This year, I've been picking things up since July. Unusual. I usually follow my father's trend and go the last 2 weeks before Christmas. I still do have a few things to buy, but I'm mostly finished.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Christmas, wedding, and birthday presents. I don't need "stuff" hanging around that I don't like or won't use.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Yorkshire pudding! Christmas cookies! Trifle!
16. Lights white or colored on the tree?
COLORED. White is so boring. I like my tree and my house to have pizazz.
17. Favorite Christmas song?
My favorite carol is "O Holy Night" although I saw a choir sing it all hip and jazzy yesterday and it pissed me off.
18. Travel for Christmas or stay home?
19. Can you name all of Santa's' reindeer? Yup
20. Angel on the treetop or a star? Angel.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning. Despite heavy lobbying from us as children, my parents never caved on this one.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The word "Christmas" disappearing from promotional sales items (um, hello, you wouldn't be having these sales if it werent' for Christmas and oh, by the way, people who don't celebrate Christmas generally don't put a big decorated tree in their house, so don't put it on the front of your catalog and then call it a "family tree" or a "holiday tree". Do you think we're stupid?); turning Christmas carols into advertising jingles (I HATE that); can't go shopping for anything without getting run over by harried people...
Click HERE for a video about the above little rant.
23. What do you love most about Christmas?
Baking, decorating, singing, seeing family and friends, getting Christmas cards, putting up the tree, the sights and sounds and smells of one awesome holiday.
I have gotten this survey through e-mail several times but posted it back here and feel the need to tag people....if you are reading this and haven't posted this to your blog....you are it!!! :) Post away! :)
Sunday, December 09, 2007
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?